- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spread mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 1-1/4 hours or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Reviews forShepherd's Pies
"My husband and I tried this recipe last night and loved it. The barbeque sauce gives it a southern flavor that we both enjoyed and he rated it as a new favorite!"
"Hit a home-run with this one! Just like the title of the magazine- simple and delicious! However, I didn't make the second one to freeze so I can't speak for the frozen/reheat quality. But fresh was amazing!"
"This was a slam dunk with the kids!"
"The barbecue sauce in this gave it a very strange taste."