- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch julienned strips
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3-1/4 teaspoons dill weed, divided
- 6 ounces cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 7 cups hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- Place beans and carrots in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk soup, cream, broth and 3 teaspoons of dill. Add the beans, carrots and onion; gently stir to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with the ham, 1 cup cheese and almonds. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and dill. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forShepherd's Bean Pie
"This is a wonderful one dish meal!!"
"I did not like the flavor of this recipe at all. I do like dill but not in this dish."