Sheepherder's Breakfast Recipe
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- 2. Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until bottom is golden brown; turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make eight evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break one egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3. Cook, covered, on low 10 minutes or until eggs are set and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving: 278 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 198mg cholesterol, 479mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Sheepherder's Breakfast
"Really good and easy!"
"I also have made this, except with the scrambled eggs. [email protected], I was wondering the same thing. With 8 eggs and 10 servings, 2 somebody's are not getting an egg . LoL"
"This reminds me of a dish my mom made. I grew up in Texas so I spiced it up a bit with some diced jalape?os."
"My family and I neither liked nor disliked this recipe. I had to modify it because the potatoes stuck to the pan. I scrambled the eggs and poured them on the hash brown mixture."
"Excellent, My husband and I both loved it."
"My husband has been making this when he went elk hunting for as long as I've known him and we have been married 55 years! He scrambles the eggs instead of sunny side up. He even taught my dad how to make it over 20 years ago on a hunting trip."
"I guess my skillet wasn't really big enough for this, but I scaled it down a bit and it was SOOOO good! Will definitely be making this often!"