Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until bottom is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make 8 evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break 1 egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low until eggs are set and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 354 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 222mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Aug 27, 2019
Yum! I love reading the comments...my daily amusement. Some folks treat the recipe like a legal document. In my mind a recipe is a suggested guide. Life is too short and too much fun to live it with underwear in a bunch. ??????
Jul 14, 2019
Very good but I ended up cooking eggs to long as they ended up with yolk cooked through.
Apr 20, 2019
only one suggestion, in lieu of shredded hash browns, I use Southern Style O'Brien Hash Browns with Onions
Jan 29, 2019
I have been making this for years.. it is a great recipe.
Jan 14, 2019
This is a camping recipe we use quite frequently. We combine ham, bacon, sausage..whatever we want. All in a Dutch oven. It’s great.
Nov 24, 2018
It was delicious. Now when I cooked it, I excluded the bacon (not a big fan) and cooked the hashbrowns in 4 tbsp butter. And I only used six eggs (I'll probably use eight eggs next time, I only had six eggs last time)
Oct 31, 2018
So good and such a great Saturday morning breakfast. This was a great opportunity to try out my new ceramic-coated skillet and it made this dish even better as cleanup was a breeze.
Jun 11, 2018
Made this last night for company and “breakfast for supper”. Made pancakes to go with it but it could easily b a meal in itself. So good and easy! A keeper recipe!
Jun 3, 2018
I hate to be nit picky but yield 10 servings, yet the recipe calls for only 8 eggs.
Jun 3, 2018
Very good! Have made this numerous times. Calm down, Leslie. It's a recipe, not instructions to survive the apocalypse. Common sense would guide one to use 10 eggs, if actually serving 10.