Sharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Layer a third of the potatoes, a third of the onions and 3/4 cup cheese mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Repeat layers twice. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 3. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 436 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Sharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
"Best scalloped taters I've ever made."
"I made this recipe and could have just eaten it with a vegetable. It was so good. I didn't even need any meat to go along with it. Thumbs up!"
"Maybe microwave the potatoes a bit - or bake a bit longer."
"Love it, I wish the was a little different. Maybe make enough sauce to put on each layer. defiantly great with the two types of sharp cheddar. I decided not to peal my white potatoes and it came out great."
"Delicious!! Needed to bake probably an extra 5-10 minutes. Potatoes were JUST a bit firm. Great flavor and the smell coming from the oven is to die for!!"
"Very good recipe! And easy to follow! I think next time I will layer the sauce instead of having it all on top"
"This will be my go to recipe for potatoes. So very good! I greased the dish with butter. I didn't change the recipe at all. Delicious just as written."
"Good recipe for potatoes. Don't use any Pam in it or it would be oily. That's what dukeoflilac did to only get it a two star rating. Leave out the Pam and it's a better recipe."
"Delicious! I do want to know why dukeoflilac commentator asked about PAM. There was nothing in this recipe saying to spray anything with PAM that I saw. Maybe there was when she posted, but it's not here now and with all this cheese, no need to coat the pan with any oil. These are awesome Scalloped Potatoes! I did ad some shredded colby/jack and philly cheese because it melts so well and tastes great and some garlic powder, but otherwise followed the recipe."
"Our new favorite! As always, I changed the recipe a bit. I substituted black pepper for white pepper, milk for half-and-half, and 4 oz Philly for white cheddar, and used 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar. I also mixed the cheeses into the sauce with a whisk to make it easier. Creamy and delicious!"
"I don't know what I did wrong, but the first problem was all the oil. Not sure from the cheese or the Pam. Is the sauce suppose to seep down to the bottom? I think I might try adding a layer of sauce on each layer of potatoes. Any suggestions?"
"Really delicious, this is a keeper for sure!"
"These are the best scalloped potatoes I have ever eaten. I did tweak the recipe a little by adding more cheeses. I also add 11/2 cups Monterey jack, & 11/2 cups hot pepper jack, & 11/2 cups mozzarella cheese, plus I use about 7- 10 lbs. potatoes & add more of everything else on the list. I have to fix these at every family function now as I get so many request for them now. For her Christmas Eve dinner today, I had to make my baby sister a big pan for her dinner. She called me later & said everyone loved them! Really like the addition of the extra cheeses, but they're good even without that! Thanks for the recipe. It is my go to recipe now!"
"What a fabulous recipe! Will definitely add to my recipe box! Served these with meatloaf. Super combination!"
"This is wonderful!! I cubed up the white cheddar, rather than shredding it. I will make these again....maybe for guests if the opportunity arises."
"I made these with a stuffed pork roast. I didnt use sharp cheeses. I used mild. What can I say except it was fabulous! I have used boxed scalloped potatoes but the potatoes always tasted like cardboard. This was something special. I will be making this again & again. Thanks Taste of Home!!"