- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 5 to 6 drops green food coloring
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Cool and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, butter, lemon peel and food coloring until smooth. Pour into crust. For meringue, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing to the edges. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forShamrock Pie
"Absolutely delicious! Made it for a St. Paddy's day gathering with friends. I'm still working on making my meringues look better, but other than that, it was a fantastic tasting pie."