Shamrock Meringue Cups
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 20 green candied cherries
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla, salt and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue into 12 mounds on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With the back of a spoon, shape into 3-in. cups. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, beat milk and lime juice until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if desired. Spoon 1/3 cup filling into each meringue cup. Cut 18 cherries in half and two into thin slivers; garnish each dessert with a shamrock shape.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 225 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2013
I have been making meringue shells for about 40 years. My 5 kids & 10 grandkids love them. They'll keep a long time unfilled. I love this recipe and also like to fill the shells with coffee ice cream & drizzle chocolate over it.
Mar 22, 2012
These were much easier than I thought they would be, but I agree they don't hold up too long. That was OK because my husband said the leftovers tatsed like a meringue pie.
Mar 5, 2012
You say "Healthy" but it is filled with sugar!
Feb 24, 2012
Excellent! Also made the meringue green...and used gum drops since I couldn't easily find the cherries:)
Mar 2, 2010
These were delicious, but they keep for only about 1 day before beinning to crack up (the topping oozes into the meringue). If not eating all at once, I'd recommend keeping some of the meringues unfilled in an airtight container, then piping the filling in later. I also could not find green maraschino cherries and ended up using slices of kiwi cut into triangles and arranged in a semi-shamrock-like shape. Tasty, but not as tidy looking. Putting the filling in a ziplock, snipping off the end, and piping in is also a much easier and neater way to fill meringues.
Apr 1, 2008
I made this recipe for my daughter's birthday dinner instead of the traditional cake. It was a huge hit. The filling was wonderful but too much so I thought it might be nice to put the leftover filliing in a graham cracker pie crust
Mar 17, 2008
I made these for my husband & myself, & took some to neighbors, who pronounced them attractive, ingenious, & delicious. The recipe makes an inordinate amount of filling, so I'll halve those ingredients next time.
Mar 14, 2008
Perfect dessert for Saint Patrick's Day, or any day.