Shallot & Basil Green Beans
When you have fresh basil on hand, you'll definitely want to utilize it in this tantalizing side dish.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Place beans in a small saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute shallots in oil until tender. Stir in the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Drain beans and add to skillet. Add basil and lemon peel; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 83 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Herbed Green Beans in Reminisce December/January 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.