- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce or hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Whole pita breads, toasted
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, seasonings and, if desired, hot chili sauce; cook 30 seconds longer. Add tomatoes; cook 3-5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- With back of spoon, make four wells in vegetable mixture; break an egg into each well. Cook, covered, 4-6 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with pita bread. Yield: 4 servings.
"I surprised my BF with this today. He loved it and asked where I got the recipe. I showed him this page and after reading the other reviews, he said, “ Tell them it doesn’t matter to him where it originated, and his GF also used canned tomatoes, but people have GOT to make this dish. It’s awesome!” Bless his heart; he’s a keeper like this recipe!"
"I love this dish so much! I've made it twice and it was very tasty both times. Everyone else loved it too. The only things I did differently were using paprika instead of chili powder, and using drained, canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh because it's all I had at the time. Delicious recipe!"
"Nice flavor. Shakshuka is originally a Jewish-Morrocan dish, very common in Israeli kitchens-not Southeast Asian in origin. Maybe taught by fellow traveler? Incredibly good for breakfast!"
"I have made this Shakshuka twice now for "breakfast for dinner" nights and have loved it both times. The first time I served it with hash browns and the second was with grits. Very tasty with either. The Sriracha chili sauce was just spicy enough for my taste but my husband would have loved more. I knew it was going to be a hit with him anyway because he loves anything with eggs."