Shaker Herb ‘n’ Meatball Soup
Filling soups like this make it easy to get through cold New England winters. The meatballs are extra-easy because they cook in the soup...there's no need for browning beforehand.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls; drop into soup. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 114 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Shaker Herb 'n' Meatball Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook