Shaker Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded fresh spinach
- Soak beans according to package directions. In a Dutch oven, bring the beans, ham bone and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat easily falls off the bone.
- Remove bone from broth; cool. Trim meat from the bone. Discard bone. Add the meat, onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme to broth. Cover and cook for 30-60 minutes or until beans and vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes and brown sugar. Cook 10 minutes longer. Just before serving, add spinach.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 119 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 16, 2015
Wonderful! I have several bean recipes and this may be my favorite. I loved the addition of the fresh spinach, which added great flavor and texture.
Feb 18, 2012
Excellent and great on a cold night. I did soak the beans overnight as we live at a high altitude and added frz. Chopped spinach. A real taste treat!