Shaker Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded fresh spinach
- Soak beans according to package directions. In a Dutch oven, bring the beans, ham bone and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat easily falls off the bone.
- Remove bone from broth; cool. Trim meat from the bone. Discard bone. Add the meat, onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme to broth. Cover and cook for 30-60 minutes or until beans and vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes and brown sugar. Cook 10 minutes longer. Just before serving, add spinach.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 119 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 16, 2015
Wonderful! I have several bean recipes and this may be my favorite. I loved the addition of the fresh spinach, which added great flavor and texture.
Feb 18, 2012
Excellent and great on a cold night. I did soak the beans overnight as we live at a high altitude and added frz. Chopped spinach. A real taste treat!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.