- 1 pound dry great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded fresh spinach leaves
- Sort and rinse beans. Place in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. In the same kettle, place ham bone or hocks, 3 qts water and beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours or until meat easily falls from the bone. Remove bones from broth and, when cool enough to handle, trim meat. Discard bones. Add ham, onion, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme. Simmer, covered, 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes and brown sugar. Cook for 10 minutes. Just before serving, add spinach. Yield: 5 qts.
Reviews forShaker Bean Soup
"Wonderful! I have several bean recipes and this may be my favorite. I loved the addition of the fresh spinach, which added great flavor and texture."
"Excellent and great on a cold night. I did soak the beans overnight as we live at a high altitude and added frz. Chopped spinach. A real taste treat!"