Sesame Zucchini Bread
"We were treated to this delicious zucchini-flecked bread when we went to visit a friend one evening," remarks Dawn Fagerstrom of Warren, Minnesota. "Each healthy slice is dotted with goodies like raisins, sesame seeds and nuts."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; beat until smooth. In another bowl, combine the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add raisins, walnuts and 3 teaspoons sesame seeds. Stir into sugar mixture just until moistened. Stir in zucchini. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 168 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sesame Zucchini Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.