- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional sesame seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, honey, shortening, salt, egg, sesame seeds, whole wheat flour and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forSesame Wheat Bread
"Lovely texture. Not at all heavy like some wheat breads tend to be. I put sesame seeds on top but they fell off a d made a mess. Next time I will use an egg wash instead of melted butter. GOOD RECIPE."
"This made a really nice moist bread that held together well."
"The BEST whole wheat bread Ive ever made by myself.(also, to save some calories, I didnt brush melted butter on top and it was still yummy)"