When I go out to my garden in summer to "pick" dinner, my family knows I plan to fix this tasty medley. It's just as good during cold weather months using fresh supermarket produce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3-1/2 cups fresh snow peas
- 2 small yellow summer squash, cubed
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Place cauliflower and beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender, adding broccoli and snow peas during the last 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute the yellow squash, zucchini and onion in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the sugar, sesame seeds, lemon juice, soy sauce and remaining oil.
- Transfer cauliflower mixture to a large serving bowl; add squash mixture and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 84 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sesame Summer Vegetables in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.