Sesame Summer Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 large carrots
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut carrots into very thin lengthwise strips. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the carrots, asparagus and snow peas; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Set aside 3/4 cup carrots for garnish.
- Discard seasoning packet from noodles or save for another use. Break noodles into small pieces. Place in a large serving bowl; add the blanched vegetables, red pepper, beans sprouts, water chestnuts and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the hoisin sauce, vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil, honey, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Garnish with reserved carrots and remaining sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 205 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 19, 2010
This made a nice side dish to our teriyaki pork tenderloin and rice last night. I added some sliced green onions, and I think some peanuts or other nuts would make an interesting addition next time. Thanks for such a unique recipe!
Jul 2, 2010
Very very good. My daughter asks me to make at least everyother day! My friend came over and sampled it and has made it for two family get togethers. The sauce is wonderful.
May 8, 2010
Very good. I made the sauce ahead of time and marinated chicken breasts in it. Just cooked the chicken and had everything ready to go cold so after my daughters softball game we could just throw it together. My husband loved it!