Sesame Shrimp Rice Salad
Crispy snow peas, red pepper and onion, plus tender shrimp are combined in this refreshing salad. The light sesame dressing is mildly seasoned with ginger and soy. Sunshine Wall shares the recipe from her home in Jacksonville, Florida.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add peas; cover and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and immediately place peas in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, rice, onion, red pepper, parsley and snow peas. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over shrimp mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 302 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 181mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sesame Shrimp Rice Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.