VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepepr flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, peas, tomatoes and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and mustard; pour over bean mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Toss to coat. Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sesame Seed Veggie Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p55