- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (2 pounds)
- In a shallow dish, combine the first 8 ingredients. Score the surface of the beef with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes; place in dish and turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain.
3 ounce-weight: 197 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.