Sesame Onion Breadsticks
We’ve enjoyed these golden brown breadsticks at numerous family gatherings over the years. The recipe is a snap to prepare using frozen dough and just five other ingredients. —Mary E. Relyea, Canastota, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in paprika; cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 16x14-in. rectangle. Spread onion mixture down one half of the rectangle. Fold dough lengthwise in half over onion mixture, forming a 16x7-in. rectangle; seal edges.
- Cut dough lengthwise into thirty-two 1/2-in.-thick strips. Twist each strip two or three times. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush breadsticks with beaten egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 13-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 breadstick: 53 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sesame Onion Twists in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014