- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 4 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Roll up from a long side; seal well. Place with seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray; let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a very sharp knife, make four shallow diagonal cuts across top. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forSesame French Bread
"Excellent texture and easy!!"
"My. Family loved this. No more running to the store for French bread."
"I make this whenever we have Italian. We love it and it is so much better then from the store."
"Needed another cup or so of flour, that could be b/c I am at a high elevation. Delicious tho'"
"Family favorite! Love this bread! When we make extra loaves, we freeze them and when we warm them up in the oven (wrapped in foil), they come out crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, perfect!!"
"love this bread"
"Tasty and easy recipe!! highly recommended!"
"Love this recipie! I have made it three times now and added it to my favorites! Love the sesame seeds on top!"