Sesame Asparagus Risotto
Asparagus is one of my favorite ingredients to work into recipes. Turn this side into a main dish by adding some cooked shrimp or cooked chicken for extra protein.—Sherry Johnston, Green Cove Springs, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 pound cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; keep hot. In another large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until rice is coated.
- Stir in 1 cup hot broth. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook and stir until broth is absorbed. Add an additional 2 cups broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth has been absorbed after each addition. Stir in asparagus.
- Continue stirring in remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is tender but firm to the bite and risotto is creamy. Remove from heat; stir in orange zest.
- Serve immediately. Drizzle top with sesame oil; sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds.
Editor's Note: To toast almonds and sesame seeds, place each separately in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 228 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Asparagus Risotto in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.