Asparagus is one of my favorite ingredients to work into recipes. Turn this side into a main dish by adding some cooked shrimp or cooked chicken for extra protein.—Sherry Johnston, Green Cove Springs, Florida
Recommended: Spring-ish Recipes to Make In April
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 pound cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; keep hot. In another large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add rice; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until rice is coated.
- Stir in 1 cup hot broth. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook and stir until broth is absorbed. Add an additional 2 cups broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth has been absorbed after each addition. Stir in asparagus.
- Continue stirring in remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is tender but firm to the bite and risotto is creamy. Remove from heat; stir in orange peel.
- Serve immediately. Drizzle top with sesame oil; sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sesame Asparagus Risotto in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014