Sensational Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 to 3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- In a bowl, gently combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine milk and egg yolks. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Press into two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; spread over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 300° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. (Layers will be thin.) Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with half of whipped cream and strawberries. Repeat layers.
May 4, 2015
This was exactly what I was looking for my boyfriend's birthday cake. It was excellent!
Jun 26, 2013
After reading this recipe, I really thought it might be a lot of trouble to create, however it did take some time, the end result was well worth it. I have never had the original style strawberry shortcake, but this was my first real old style strawberry shortcake and I will never make another recipe different from this. Thank you for sharing.
Jun 20, 2013
I made this for our Father's Day BBQ. Everyone loved it. We will definitely be having this again.
Sep 7, 2012
easy to make and got great compliments!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.