- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 to 3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a bowl, gently stir strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; chill. Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine milk and egg yolks; mix well. Add to crumb mixture, stirring just until moistened. Divide and pat into two greased 9-in. round cake pans. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; spread over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 300° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. (Layer will be thin.) Cool completely. Place one cake layer on a large serving plate; spread with half of the whipped cream. Spoon half of the strawberries over cream. Repeat layers. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSensational Strawberry Shortcake
"This was exactly what I was looking for my boyfriend's birthday cake. It was excellent!"
"After reading this recipe, I really thought it might be a lot of trouble to create, however it did take some time, the end result was well worth it. I have never had the original style strawberry shortcake, but this was my first real old style strawberry shortcake and I will never make another recipe different from this. Thank you for sharing."
"I made this for our Father's Day BBQ. Everyone loved it. We will definitely be having this again."
"easy to make and got great compliments!"