VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) imitation crabmeat, coarsley chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese or additional shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- Cubed French bread
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook butter over medium-high heat. Add onions: cook and stir until tender. Add crab; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in milk, wine and pepper; heat until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/2 cup cheese; stir constantly until almost completely melted. Continue adding cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing cheese to almost melt completely between additions. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Transfer to a heated fondue pot; keep fondue bubbling gently. Serve with bread cubes. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Sensational Crab Fondue in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p8