- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. (The dough will be very stiff.) Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 2-1/4-in. to 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 1/2 teaspoon preserves on half of the circles; top with remaining circles. Pinch edges together to seal. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients and frost cooled cookies. Yield: About 2 dozen.
Reviews forSecret Treat Molasses Cookies
"As the recipe is written, you come up with a cookie that is SUPER sweet and sugary. I would rate it lower for that reason. HOWEVER, I had some extra dough that I cut out cookies in the shape of gingerbread men because the color of the dough was so gorgeous. The gingerbread men were absolutely beautiful and tasted great without all the jelly and frosting on them. The gingerbread (I mean, molasses men!) were fantastic and I am planning to make another batch with just a tiny bit of frosting embellishments. 5 STAR for the molasses men!"
"I'm going to make them, They will be a hit!!!!!"
"My Mother used to make us something like this when we were young; the only thing different is that she used apple jam or apple butter in place of the strawberry jam--Quite Yummy! Thanx for the blast from the past"