Secret Ginger Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1large egg, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground white pepper, mustard and cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, mustard, cardamom, salt and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 130 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 17, 2015
These ginger cookies are the best I've ever tried. My daughter can't keep her hands off them. Nice and crunchy on the outside. Chewy sweet savory spice with just the right bite. Love them and will make this my go to recipe for ginger cookies.
Dec 6, 2011
These are great. I have made them quite a few times. I make sure everything is room temp. before beginning. I also, each time, forget to buy cardamom, so I go heavy on the other spices(but not the salt).Again,thanks. These are very good.