Season’s End Salad
This quick-to-fix salad is a great way to use the last of your garden's bounty. The vinegar lets the fresh flavor come through.—Susan Strout, Cheney, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 3/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Layer tomato, onion and cucumber in a 1-1/2-qt. dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Pour vinegar over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Drain; serve on lettuce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 28 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Season's End Salad in Country Woman September/October 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.