Seaside Gelatin Salad
This busy beach scene is easy to create when you stir crushed pineapple into berry blue gelatin, chill, then top with graham cracker crumb "sand". Add fun details with simple store-bought items like gummy fish, chocolate seashells, paper umbrellas and more.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Candies for decorating
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water and pineapple. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate until set. In a bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and sugar; cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, sprinkle cracker mixture over half of the gelatin to form a beach. Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 138 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Seaside Gelatin Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 2003
Apr 3, 2011
This recipe was very simple and quick. I made it for a church activity and the kids loved it. I warmed Airheads in the microwave and used a rolling pin to flatten them out to make beach towels.