Seared Scallops with Cheddar-Onion Grits
My holiday guests love shrimp and grits, but I wanted to shake things up one year. These pan scallops are crisp and tender and contrast well with the creamy cheddar grits. —Janice Elder, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 sea scallops (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and salt; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth to onion mixture; bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Press flat sides into cornmeal. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and firm.
- Serve with grits; sprinkle with parsley.
Originally published as Pan-Seared Scallops with Creamy Cheddar amd Caramelized Onion Grits in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.