VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 10 packages (8 ounces each) imitation crabmeat
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 pounds sea scallops
- 3 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large kettle, bring broth and crab to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until crab breads into pieces when stirred. Meanwhile, in several large skillets, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Stir into crab mixture; return to a simmer.
- Add scallops, shrimp, thyme and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until scallops turn opaque. Add the cream, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 48 servings (12 quarts).
Originally published as Seafood Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p54