VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 10 packages (8 ounces each) imitation crabmeat
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1-1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 pounds sea scallops
- 3 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large kettle, bring broth and crab to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until crab breads into pieces when stirred. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Stir into crab mixture; return to a simmer.
- Add scallops, shrimp, thyme and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until scallops turn opaque. Add the cream, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 48 servings (12 quarts).
Originally published as Seafood Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p54