- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced green onion and tops
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups small shrimp, rinsed and drained, or seafood of your choice
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more, or until mixture is reddish-brown.
- Add the onion, celery, green pepper and green onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, water, okra, paprika, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until seafood is done. Remove from heat; stir in Cajun seasoning. Yield: about 6 quarts.
Reviews forSeafood Gumbo
"The Cajun flavors come together nicely here and the taste is great!!"
"very good recipe; I added rice to the gumbo after was done at the same time that I added the shrimp. This thicken it somewhat . I also cut down on the salt. I also added Andouille sausage to give it more of a cajun style taste."
"easy to follow. Family loved it over rice."
"This is a huge recipe. Can it be frozen? I'd hate to think my husband and I would be eating this for at least a week. Not a good idea. Help."
"Since I have never made gumbo before, this was a good, non-intimidating recipe to start with."
"THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER MADE GUMBO AND IT WAS GREAT. I WILL DEFINATELY BE MAKING MORE"
"this is THE best gumbo we've ever made....we cooked our roux in the oven at 350 for about 2 hours until it was chocolate brown...we also omitted 4 of the 8 cups of water and added 2 15 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes...DEFINITELY on our list to make again....thanks so much."