This is the dish I start with when preparing the meal. This chunky sauce needs to simmer so I can focus on the rest of the meal.—Sherry Horton, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar and oregano. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain; transfer to a serving dish. Serve with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Scrumptious Spaghetti in Quick Cooking March/April 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.