This is the dish I start with when preparing the meal. This chunky sauce needs to simmer so I can focus on the rest of the meal.—Sherry Horton, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a skillet, saute green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomato sauce, sugar and oregano. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain; top with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Scrumptious Spaghetti in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p21