Scrumptious Chocolate Cake
Family and friends like to gather in my kitchen for slices of this scrumptious cake.—Linda Dorion, Nanoose Bay, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) or 2 cups chocolate frosting
- Place the butter, oats and cocoa in a large bowl; add boiling water and stir until butter is melted. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to oat mixture just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with chocolate frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 472 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Moist Chocolate Cake in Country Woman September/October 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.