Scrumptious California Salmon
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 salmon fillet (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute garlic and shallot until tender. Add orange juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 20-25 minutes. Stir in the honey, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, brown salmon in oil, about 3 minutes on each side. Brush with sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 400° until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 8-10 minutes.
- Brush with any remaining sauce and sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked salmon: 317 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 16, 2015
I was looking for something different and this was. I guess I don't love orange flavor with salmon. It was good, but not amazing to me.
Jan 14, 2015
This is a great recipe. Easy, yet it has a sophisticated flavor.
Jun 23, 2013
This is a very tasty sauce for salmon-my favorite. I don't have a stove top so used an electric skillet to reduce the sauce. Microwaving to reduce was a fail. The first time I made this, I cooked it in my Sharp Steamwave along with asparagus from the garden. Today, we're going to cook it on the grill.
May 8, 2012
We left out the salt and pepper since the balsamic vinegar had lots of flavor, and the ancho pepper had enough spice. It was evry pretty. We added orange slices as a garnish. But next time, we will try adding chopped pineapple. Thanks for the recipe.
Mar 1, 2012
I had a great time making this recipe. This was so good!! I doubled the recipe because I had to feed 7 people, 5 of which are kids. When you have 11,12,two 13, & a 16 year old saying how this was the best fish dish I've made for them...that's saying a whole lot!! Thank you for sharing. 5 stars for sure.
Dec 31, 2011
I have made this recipe numerous times and it is always excellent! My family loves it!!
Sep 15, 2011
This recipe was delicious! I will definitely be making it again. Couldn't find ancho chili pepper, so I grabbed something called Mexican Chili Powder. Wasn't very spicy, but then again I don't know what ancho chili pepper tastes like. Anyways, the flavors were all wonderful!
Jun 20, 2010
excellent!I did not have ancho chili pepper so I used regular chili powder. I didn't have shallots either.
Jun 7, 2010
This has an amazing flavored sauce. I served it on tilapia instead of salmon since that was what I had on hand however I believe this would even be yummy on chicken!
Jun 2, 2010
This was absolutely delicious. I made a few changes. I did not have shallots so I did not use. I did not have ancho chili pepper but I had chipotle chili pepper which I used and I used rainbow trout which to me has almost the same flavor as salmon. It turned out great and will keep this recipe.