Scrumptious Blueberry-Lemon Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, egg white, applesauce, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Transfer to an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; pour over warm loaf. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 180 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Apr 25, 2010
This was too dry to eat without spreading cream cheese all over it!
Apr 11, 2010
I made this last night and just finished a couple slices for breakfast. It's fantanstic! My husband loved it as well. I used an egg substitute for allergy reasons. Used 3 Tbs. of canola oil instead of butter, increased applesauce to 3/4 cup, added juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1/4 tsp. lemon extract. Before adding the blueberries I coated them in flour to keep them from all sinking to bottom. Turned out great and I love the healthier aspect.