Scrumptious Blueberry-Lemon Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, egg white, applesauce, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Transfer to an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; pour over warm loaf. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 180 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 25, 2010
This was too dry to eat without spreading cream cheese all over it!
Apr 11, 2010
I made this last night and just finished a couple slices for breakfast. It's fantanstic! My husband loved it as well. I used an egg substitute for allergy reasons. Used 3 Tbs. of canola oil instead of butter, increased applesauce to 3/4 cup, added juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1/4 tsp. lemon extract. Before adding the blueberries I coated them in flour to keep them from all sinking to bottom. Turned out great and I love the healthier aspect.