Scrambled Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process American cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- 1. In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir until mixture begins to bubble. Gradually stir in milk; cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; mix well and set aside. In a large skillet, saute ham and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until onions are tender. Add eggs; cook and stir until they begin to set. Add the mushrooms and cheese sauce; mix well. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 358 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 376mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Scrambled Egg Casserole
"I've made this on Christmas morning for years. I have a mushroom hater so I use a small can of chopped green chiles instead."
"This the second time I made this recipe. You definitely need to bake it for 40-45 minutes. I used Colby Jack cheese and still used fresh mushrooms that I saute. This is a keeper. Another thought is to add green chilies if you wanted to do a southwestern twist or Colby Jack cheese with chilies."
"I will give this recipe a second chance with some changes. This was the first time I made it, instead of canned mushrooms, I saute fresh sliced mushroom other than that I followed the recipe. Next I will add some fresh herbs and increase the bake time to 40 to 45 minutes."
"I've made this twice now and it is very good. It took 45-50 minutes to bake."