- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- To make cheese sauce, in a large skillet, melt butter; stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the salt, pepper and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute ham and green onion in 3 tablespoons butter until onion is tender. Add eggs and cook over medium heat until eggs are set; stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce.
- Spoon eggs into greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; spread evenly over egg mixture. Cover; chill overnight. Uncover; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forScrambled Egg Casserole with Cheese Sauce
"I've made this recipe for years. My grown children are all vegetarian, so we leave out the ham and add a can of chopped green chiles. One of them hates mushrooms, so we leave those out. It's a wonderful dish, and making it ahead really helps."
"This is wonderful!! So creamy and cheesy, I will make this again, maybe for overnight guests."
"This was so good! Next time I'm going to put down a layer of hashbrown potatoes first, just because there is so much sauce, I think it could handle another layer."