Many games involve letters, so I thought alphabet soup would be ideal to serve at my theme party, which included an evening of playing board games and cards. I concocted the hearty soup using ingredients I had on hand.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup each chopped celery, carrot, turnip and potato
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add pasta; simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 153 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Scrabble Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1999