These decked-out doggies are all bundled up in colorful sweaters for the holidays. The frosted sugar cookies are almost too adorable to eat! — Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 2-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Black liquid food coloring
- ROYAL ICING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- Red and green paste food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and corn syrup. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in thirds. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. dog-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and corn syrup. Add enough milk to make a thin spreading consistency. Divide in half; tint one half with black food coloring and leave remaining half plain.
- For royal icing, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Divide in half; tint one portion red and the other green. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth.)
- Decorate cookies as desired with frosting, icing and sprinkles. Let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 99 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.