Scotch Braised Beef
On a trip to Scotland, I fell in love with this meal and brought the recipe home with me. Since then, it's risen to the top of my family's list of favorite foods.—Celia Collier, Stillwater, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round roast
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a Dutch oven, saute bacon, carrot, turnip and onion in butter for 3 minutes. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add roast; brown on all sides. Return vegetables to the pan. Add broth. Place peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners and tie with string to form a bag. Add to the pan with the other seasonings. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; discard spice bag. Thicken pan drippings if desired to serve with the roast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 417 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Scotch Braised Beef in Taste of Home June/July 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.