Beverly Gottfried's kitchen in Candler, North Carolina is a popular spot when she serves up this deluxe dessert on hot summer days. Garnished with raspberries, each slice features smooth vanilla ice cream piled on a nutty chocolate crust. Eliminate last-minute fuss by preparing and freezing this pretty pie ahead of time.
Recommended: Outstanding Pie Recipes from Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, divided
- 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs (about 16 wafers)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint, optional
- Soften 1 pint of ice cream. Combine the cookie crumbs, nuts and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Spread with the softened ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm. Scoop remaining ice cream into small balls; pile into crust. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Arrange raspberries between scoops. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Scoops of Ice Cream Pie in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p22