Schoolhouse Peanut Brittle
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups Spanish or cocktail peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line three 15x10x1-in. pans with parchment paper. (Do not spray or grease.)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrups. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Stir in peanuts and butter; cook to 300° (hard-crack stage), about 9 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. (Mixture will foam.) Immediately pour into prepared pans, spreading as thin as possible. Cool completely. Break into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Oct 31, 2019
Awesome peanut brittle. Love the flavor the dark corn syrup gives it!
Feb 9, 2016
Mine didn't harden I don't know what I did wrong
Dec 14, 2014
I hadn't ever used dark syrup in brittle before but it gave this incredible richness. It was wonderful and I'm going to make this again since my first batch was devoured in a day!!!
Aug 21, 2014
Love this recipe. Easy, so yummy. Need to work fast though. I added TJ Coconut chips and that is good too!
Jan 4, 2013
I am not ususally a big fan of peanut brittle, I think I don't like the taste of to much baking powder. What ever it is, this recipe got it right! I really enjoyed it and so did the friends I made it for!
Dec 11, 2012
Best peanut brittle I've ever made! Delicious! This will be a staple in my Christmas candy list for years to come!
Nov 25, 2012
I made this recipe last night. It turned out exactly as it should and tastes great. This will now be a holiday tradition in our home from now on!!! Thanks,