"This hearty soup is a nice change-of-pace lunch for 'brown-baggers'," remarks field editor Karen Ann Bland of Gove, Kansas. "It stays hot for hours in a tightly sealed insulated container. It's a full meal with fresh fruit and a couple of cookies."
Recommended: 62 Quick Recipes to Cozy Up to This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound hot dogs, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the hot dogs, celery, carrot, green pepper, onion and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as School Day Chowder in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p54