- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black paste or gel food coloring
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yellow paste or liquid food coloring
- 2 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, cut in half
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 6 red gumdrops
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to a wire rack to cool. Place cakes end to end on a 22-in. x 8-in. covered board. Level if needed. From the top of one end, form the front of the bus by cutting out a section 1 in. deep and 3 in. long (Save the removed piece for another use.)
- For frosting, beat butter and shortening in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Beat in 6 cups sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat in enough additional sugar until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Remove 3/4 cup frosting; add black food coloring. Tint remaining frosting yellow. Frost entire cake yellow. Frost cut edge of cookies with yellow frosting to form wheel wells; place two cookie halves on each side of bus. Cut a hole in the corner of a plastic bag or insert a #5 round tip in a pastry bag; fill with black frosting. Outline windows on both sides of bus; pipe strips under windows. Pipe windshield and back window; fill in with black frosting. Pipe lines on front of grille. Place yellow gumdrops on front of bus for headlights; place red gumdrops on front and back for lights. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forSchool Bus Cake
"I'm JOY me and my 7! girls julia and Alli 5,Cara 4,Annie and Jinger 3kalie 1,and Hannie [Johanna].thanks so much!!!!!"