This traditional recipe has been in the family for years. Every Christmas, friends and family expect to see these attractive and delicious cookies on the table. I always happily oblige!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup jam or jelly
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls. Beat egg whites until foamy.
- 2. Dip each ball halfway into egg whites, then into walnuts. Place nut side up 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Fill with jam; cool.
2 each: 133 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
May 24, 2011
Wonderful recipe! They were easy to make and my family loved them.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC