Scallops & Shrimp with Yellow Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice and turmeric; stir to coat. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 349 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Jun 16, 2018
I added fresh parsley a few red pepper flakes and pecorino or parmesan on top just before serving. Also a pinch of onion powder.
Jan 28, 2012
This has become one of our "go to" meals. I also found I needed to spice it up to suit our taste. Curry was a great addition!
Jan 10, 2012
This is great for me, have made it several timesI made it once(Cheated and used Zaterans)it was just as good
Feb 11, 2010
Added seafood seasoning and cayenne pepper...tasted great!
Oct 25, 2009
very bland, scallops have no taste, needs more spices.
Oct 10, 2009
We thoroughly enjoyed this recipe but thought it need more seasoning. We will definitely try it again with more salt and pepper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.