Scallops and Asparagus Stir-Fry
Savory scallops, crisp-tender asparagus and juicy cherry tomatoes blend together beautifully in this fresh-tasting stir-fry from Lisa Lancaster of Tracy, California. Sesame oil and soy sauce delicately accent the colorful combo that's festive enough to serve when company comes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 pound sea scallops, halved
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Place asparagus in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry scallops, mushrooms and garlic in canola oil until scallops are opaque and mushrooms are tender. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sauce is thickened.
- Add the asparagus, tomatoes, onions, sesame oil and pepper; heat through. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 215 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Scallops and Asparagus Stir-Fry in Light & Tasty February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.